Monday, October 7, 2013

Punctuation - The Period

Punctuation rules can be confusing. That is why we will revise each element on the following posts.

The Period

Every time we end a sentence and without space between the last letter and the period, but leaving just one space between the period and the first letter of the next sentence. 

Example

My name is Albita Flores and I am 25 years old. I study International Business at Universidad Espíritu Santo and I work at Ecuandino Hats.

My name is Albita Flores and I am 25 years oldNO SPACE. SPACE I study International Business at Universidad Espíritu Santo and I work at Ecuandino Hats.

In addition, the Oxford Dictionaries mention other uses:

1.  In both American and British English, if you are using initial letters to represent words, you do not normally need to put a period after them:

NBC
UK
NATO
NAACP

2. In American English, however, it is common to use periods as an alternative style for certain abbreviations, in particular:

USA or U.S.A.
US or U.S.

3. If an abbreviation consists of the first and last letters of a word, the American rule is to include a period at the end:

Mr.
Dr.
St.

4. The British norm, however, is not to use a period at the end:

Mr
Dr
St

5. If the abbreviation consists only of the first part of a word, then you should put a period at the end:


Wed. [= Wednesday]
Dec. [= December]

That will be all for today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;